Martin Luther's Barber once asked him how to pray. Luther responded by writing a short work that today fills only 11 A4 pages. It is well worth a look and may give you some ideas on praying. It can be found by clicking on this link.
Saturday, 13 January 2018
CORE CHRISTIANITY CHAPTER TEN
1. Can you give any examples of how your view of other people has changed since you became a Christian?
2. What would you do if you knew that Jesus was going to return tomorrow?
3. Can you think of any ways in which your life became more complicated when you became a Christian?
4. In what ways have non-believers been a blessing to you in the past year?
5. Discuss his teaching on finding God's will for your life on pages 166/167. What aspects do you find helpful? Are there any that you think differently about to him?
6. Which chapter in the book have you enjoyed the most and which have you learned the most from?
Friday, 17 November 2017
CORE CHRISTIANITY CHAPTER NINE
2. What can we say to someone who tells you about a person who died and went to heaven and then came back?
3. "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through." Is this right or wrong? Explain your answer.
4. Are things getting better or worse as we approach the end of the age?
5. Are you looking forward to the return of the Lord? What might hinder a Christian from praying, "Come Lord Jesus"? What do you expect to happen when he does return?
Friday, 13 October 2017
JESUS IS LORD
1. Is the UK racist? What about Bristol? Philip Street Chapel? Are YOU racist? Could we be so in a measure but not be aware of it?
2. 'Jesus is Lord' - in what ways does the subject of this chapter help us address racism?
3. "Jesus is not a supporting actor in our life movie." (Page 134) How do you keep yourself from living as though he is?
4. "The blessings of God's redemption will surpass the effects of the curse and the destructive power of human sins." (Page 138) In what ways will this be so?
5. "Yet Christ is building his kingdom, and he isn't utilizing the means that the world uses to build." (Page 139) The Reformation was ahead of the world in using the latest technology of the printing press. George Whitefield placed advertisements in American Newspapers telling them that he was coming to preach. Mike Horton has a radio programme. What are the means we should not use? What means may we not be using that we can do so?
Friday, 15 September 2017
JOY TO THE WORLD
1. Christmas is coming! What gives you joy at Christmas? What do you understand by 'a profound kind of pleasure that the world can imitate but never reproduce' (Page 117)
2. Read Revelation 12. what impact does this have on the way you see the Christmas story?
3. 'Jesus is the last Adam, the true Israel, the finally faithful son of David.' (Page 123) How can these titles help us explain the gospel?
4. What does Union with Christ mean? How do you come into Union with Christ? What is the importance of being in Union with Christ?
5. Justification means 'just-as-if-I'd-never-sinned' - why is this only half the story? What difference does knowing the 'second-half' make to you?
Saturday, 17 June 2017
GOD MADE A PROMISE
1. What are some of the difficulties we encounter as we read the Old Testament?
2. What has encouraged you to read the Old Testament and what has helped you to do so?
3. What are some of the great promises God has made in the Old Testament?
4. What are the main differences between the Abrahamic Covenant and the Sinai Covenant?
5. David sinned greatly in committing adultery and murder. Why did the Davidic Covenant still stand?
6. What is 'new' about the New Covenant?
Wednesday, 10 May 2017
GOD MADE THE WORLD BUT WE'VE MADE A MESS OF IT.
Question 1: Has anyone ever said to you that they do not believe in God because of the way the world is, the terrible things that happen?
Question 2: In your own words say what a covenant is and what is meant by Eschatology?
Question 3: Were Adam and Eve real people? Were they the first people or was there a pre-Adamic race?
Question 4: On page 85 Mike says that Adam and Eve should have driven God's enemy (the serpent) from God's garden. Is he right? Did they sin before they eat the fruit in not driving the serpent out?
Question 5: What is evil?
Question 6: What is original sin?
Question 7: What do you understand by 'Total Depravity'?